The primary goal of this project was to create a new way for users to engage and interact with everyday surfaces that they would for the most part take for granted. The medium I chose to achieve this goal was a digitally projected (“pseudo-holographic”) piano… which I would have to make myself.
To not bore you with too many technical details on how this was even possible, what I did was create an interactive system powered by an electronic prototyping microcontroller called Arduino. I basically programmed it to pick up signals from the sensors I had hooked up to it. Then I used a program called Processing to write a sketch (program) that would control the sound, imagery, and signals coming in from the Arduino unit.
The above video is an extended cut of the building and testing process of the project, which should give some insight on what exactly was done and how.